My daughter completed her fifth Ironman in Madison, Wisconsin last Sunday. Of course, I’m incredibly proud of her!
For those who are wondering what the Ironman race entails, it is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 bike ride, and 26.2 mile run. She always asks family and friends to write down anything that will inspire her to keep going during this grueling event. Following is my contribution for her this time.
“Personally, I think there should be an Ironman Anonymous (IA) for recovering Ironmen. Some possible items in the 12 Step Program would be:
- Realize that you are powerless against the Ironman addiction and call on your Higher Power for deliverance from this awful disease. Ask another recovering Ironman to serve as your sponsor. Call on her/him if the urge to re-offend becomes overwhelming.
- Begin recovery slowly by committing to only swimming 1 mile, biking 20 miles and running 3 miles at a time. Taper off from there. And remember to attend your weekly IA meeting.
- Discover if you have a spouse, children and/or pets. If so, relearn their names and get reaquainted.
- Keep 2 pairs of running shoes and donate the other 18 pairs to charity.
- Eat a hot fudge sundae once a week.
- Savor the moment when you are able to sit down longer than 5 minutes without falling asleep.
- Network with other recovering Ironmen on social media. Those still practicing this demented sport should be Un-friended.
- Sleep in on the weekends.
- Watch an entire season of your favorite TV series in 1 sitting…butt planted…no treadmill!
- Re-learn the uses for Clorox, Mr. Clean and Pledge.
- Bask in the absence of foot calluses 1 inch thick.
- If the temptation to hoard swim suits, running shoes, or other related sporting gear arises, call your sponsor immediately!”